Tea to the English is really a picnic indoors
June 30, 2011 § Leave a comment
But I had free Indian food, wanna share a cuppa Chai?
My first langar was inspiring and taught me many, many things. One of them was, as part of the hosting family, you dole out 500 dishes before you can serve yourself – a torturous yet rewarding task. Another is that 5lbs of butter makes everything taste better. I wasn’t able to obtain the secret vegan recipes to some of these delectable dishes but I can assure you, I know how to make a mean cup of chai:
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Lipton Green label tea or Brooke Bond Red label tea leaves. Mix them together.
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 cup Milk
- A pinch of crushed cardamom
- 1/2 cup water
1. Cut ginger, squish it, and put in a pot of water and boil
2. Wait until water boils, then put in sugar and tea leaves
3. Wait 3 -4 minutes, then add the milk and cardamom
4. Wait another 3 -4 minutes, then take it off the pan and pour it through the strainer to have your cup of chai.